Thursday, June 7, 2007

Cleaning

I often (every week or two) get the notion to scrub the wood floors down. "Just do it with a mop or use the Swiffer, " Jeremy used to tell me. I never did and he grew tired of rolling his eyes, so he never brings it up anymore. I don't know...I just don't think anything can clean the floor as well as I do when I'm down there scrubbing it myself. So the thing is, is that this is a process. I have to have everything taken out of the room that I'm doing and if I start somewhat late in the day (meaning around 2 or after), then the furniture probably isn't going to be back to normal until the next day or maybe even the day after that depending how busy (or lazy) I get. I forgot to mention that I'm also a floater when it comes to cleaning. If it's a small job then I get the whole thing done, but if it's something big and there are lots of other things to do, then I do a little of this and jump to something else. Example: I may move all of the furniture out of the kitchen and get out the vacuum. Aha, didn't I tell myself that I would dust the cabinets today? So I start doing that but when I get to around the sink I notice that I would have more room to step (because I have to walk on the counters to get the high cabinets) if the dishes from the night before are out of the way. I do the dishes (this is one of the things I get completely done with). As I'm finishing them up, I hear the buzz of the dryer. Good, I was waiting for that. I get the clothes out of the dryer and put more in the washer. Now I have to fold the ones out of the dryer because I hate if they sit in the basket and get wrinkled. Laundry for a family of six is a daily task. If you go a couple of days without doing it, watch out! Okay, well the sink is empty, so I may as well fill the bucket for the floor job. Wait, I need to vacuum still... And so on and so forth. As this goes on, I'm normally taking care of things like, "I'm hungry!" or "Mr.P called me a baby brat!!" or "Can Abigale and Amelia come in and play?" etc. So if you ever come through the door and things look sort of half done, now you know why. There IS a method to my madness :)

No comments: