Thursday, January 2, 2014

Ortho- Schmortho, They'll Never Notice

Wrong.  We noticed.

Mr.P had an orthodontist appointment today.  There are a few points that I want to cover about this appointment with the first one being that I was early.  Not a huge deal, as I'm very rarely late to appointments at offices, but I thought it was newsworthy all the same.  After all, it IS the first time I got to try out my On Time resolution, so, yay me.  Now...let's move on to something more interesting.

This appointment was set for 11:00.  We showed up and signed in at 10:55.  Guess what time he was called back.  11:38!!!  Whaaaat?  They had sent an email the day before letting us know that things would most likely be running late at the office with the regular appointments and especially if there were any emergency bracket problems, but almost a 40 minute wait?  That's crazy.  I was telling Jeremy that if I had shown up that late for an appointment that they scheduled, I would be immediately REscheduled and a 20.00 no-show fee would be tacked on to my bill.  Lucky for them, everyone still seemed to be floating on a holiday high, myself included, and no one seemed to be too bothered.  I bet if we collected the phones and took a peek into all of our social media outlets, they would be plastered with grumbling posts on the lateness of the office and negative hashtags. lol  #earlyforappointmentlateforwork #orthoslomo #waitinggame

So he finally makes it in and I sit in the waiting room, playing with my phone and wondering if the appointment will be a short or long one.  It seems like 10 or so minutes go by and Mr.P pops in and tells me that 'she' needs me.  The doc is a man, so I assume he's referring to one of the techs.  I follow him and it takes him a second to find the lady that was working on him.  We're kind of weaving in and out of the few hallways in the building and popping our heads in here and there.  Finally, he sees her.  You will never guess what the problem was.  His wires were missing on both of his top and bottom teeth.  What?  Seriously?  Let me look in there.  Yes, no wires.  Just brackets on each tooth with no wires connecting anything.  To make matters worse, Mr.P tells me, in front of the tech, "I told you that they came out."  At this point, my mouth kind of drops and I reply with an adamant, "No you didn't!"  Don't you hate when kids do that to you?  Little ones can be very honest, most of the time....well, when they aren't going to get in trouble for being dishonest by not just admitting that the wire came out and they didn't bother to tell anyone because, hey, who the heck is going to notice.  Anyway, they can be quite honest, so at this point it was his word against mine, and of course, I'm babbling like an idiot about reasons why I didn't know, such as, why would we pay all of this money for you to have braces and not make a call to have a wire replaced?  Otherwise, having brackets cemented on each tooth isn't doing a bit of good.  Lucky for me, the little rat tried to take his dad down too, which gave me a little more leverage on my side of the story because listen to this.  "I told Daddy and he just gave me a magnet to put on the floor and try to find it." Uh....yeeeeeaaaahhh.  I actually do remember Jeremy giving him a magnet to find something on the floor once, but I doubt he knew it was a wire out of Mr.P's mouth. lol  At this point, with all of the explaining and story tripping he was doing, he started to get tears in his eyes.  The tech was very sweet to him and gently, but firmly, told him of the importance of letting us know when things aren't quite right with his braces.  She got him all fixed up and he was feeling much better when we left.  On the ride home, I asked enough questions to estimate that it was around Thanksgiving when the wire problems happened.  Awesome.  That's a lot of time lost.  He doesn't realize that it's so much better to go through the annoying braces now than to deal with jacked up teeth later.  I'm glad I went through it!

1 comment:

Ryan and Julie said...

Oh man! I hate it when that happens! Glad everything worked out. And by the way, on your previous post, I would love to teach you how to can! Just let me know when. :) Jules