Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Revival...again.

Ahhhh, the New Year Blog Revival.  I can't tell you how often this has taunted me, but I'm telling you one year it will stick!  When I hear of people who are just starting a blog, I always cheer them on but I also warn them that it is easier said than done.  It takes much discipline to drop everything and write, even once a week.  I envy those who are able to do it.  Even writing a few excerpts can be rewarding, though.  It's such a sense of accomplishment, especially when months, even years, pass and you are able to reread events and thoughts from long ago.  I look back on those pictures of Mr.P and Sabrina drinking milk from coconut shells (one of my very early posts) and smile because I captured a moment in time that was our everyday life, not necessarily a big holiday that would normally be caught in pictures and social media posts.  So here I am again, hoping to be more diligent than I have been in the past few years.  This time, I've told myself that there is no need for a long, drawn out story...short and sweet will do just fine, so we'll see if that changes the game for me at all.

New Years was a good time, as usual.  It wasn't a huge bash but just the right amount of people to make it laid back and fun.  I spent midnight surrounded by my sweet, the kids (except for Social Sabrina, of course, who spent the night at a friends house) and very good friends.  To be fair (because I know Vanessa will read this and complain), she and one of her friends came home early from a party that they were invited to because it turned out to be...lame. lol  My parents popped in around 12:30, just for half an hour or so.  They had went to a New Years party at their church that they joined.  More on their move and settling in another blog on another day.

Jeremy and I are all partied out.  Most of you realize how much work is involved with all of the preplanning and cleaning before a party.  It's enough to wear you out before the actual party even happens!  After the kids' class parties (yes, I'm room mommy for both Sabrina and Mr.P), hosting Thanksgiving, throwing my sister's bridal shower, our Christmas party, planning Christmas itself and our New Years party, we are exhausted with parties.  We spent today, New Years, being lazy ALL DAY.  I was surprised and relieved when Jeremy made breakfast and dinner, in his jammies, but hey, he did it and that was more energy than I had. lol  It was actually really nice to do nothing for a whole day and have my husband do nothing as well.  If you know him at all, you know that he normally can't spend the entire day doing nothing, and when I write 'can't', I mean it.  He gets this itch that can't be relieved unless he does something like cleans the garage or works in the yard or some other labor that does nothing more for me than leave me feeling guilty until I get up and do something too.  But today?  Laziness won and I'm all smiles.

I've been thinking about resolutions for the past week or so.  I make them more out of fun because so many times I just can't stick to them or I've set my goals too high.  Here are some that I've come up with.

  • TRY to learn a little bit of spanish.  Spanish is hard!  
  • Make steps towards a life change.  This has to do with me being ready for a change from the SAHM role that I've been blessed to lead.  My kids are quite independent and self sufficient.  Again, another blog for another day.
  • Work on my spiritual growth...make it stronger.  We all have peaks and valleys in our faith and I want to have an even stronger relationship with God than I do now.  I'm going for a peakier peak :)
  • Take more pictures!  Boy did I get lazy with my SLR camera and I blame my cell phone.  I'm going to try to be way better at using my SLR, learning about it, and maybe even taking a class on it.  I've been told I have a knack a time or two.  Maybe I do!
  • Go greener!  This one is driving Jeremy into the ground. lol  I drive him crazy with my tree-hugging ways, BUT, unfortunately for him, I watched a documentary on plastic usage and its effect on our earth (I knew it wasn't looking good, but wow.  You'd be shocked.), so back to things like bar soap we go!  I have lots of changes in this area that we'll be implementing ;)
  • Learn to make soap.  You shouldn't be surprised after reading the above post.  My friend, Jana, is going to help me make this happen.  I'm excited!
  • Learn to can.  My sweet friend, Julie, is going to help me on this.  She doesn't realize it yet.....unless she's reading this post.
  • And yes, here it is, the ever-present body challenge.  I'm not really that big into losing weight but I'm WAY into wanting a firmer self...beginning with tummy, booty and thighs, please.  Did I just sing the song of every female who comes across this post?
  • And one that I'm doing for my husband -- Being on time!!  You have no idea how hard this one will be for me, but I'm going to really try.  I know it probably drives Jeremy to constipation when I'm flying around at the last minute and we're late to our destination or even when I have something planned and I'm making adjustments at the last minute.  I'm really going to try to work on this, for my husband.
So there you have it.  That's quite a list!  I'm sure I'll fall flat on my face with some but maybe I'll skyrocket with others and it will just become part of me.  It never hurts to try!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had been there on New Years Eve with you all. We have similar resolutions this year. And I love being lazy at your house. We need to do it more often. lol Here's to a New Year!

Unknown said...

Julie can help you with the pickles, but I can teach you the fruit :)